Memorandum of Understanding between CanNor and the Department of Economic Development, Government of the Yukon
PDF Version (31 Kb, 3 pages)
Memorandum of Understanding between CanNor and the Department of Economic Development, Government of Yukon with respect to Cooperation to Support Resource and Community Development in Yukon
This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is between:
The Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency, as represented by the President of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor); and
The Department of Economic Development, Government of Yukon, as represented by the Deputy Minister.
(collectively the "Parties")
- The Parties recognize the opportunity for resource development and regional infrastructure projects ('projects') to promote economic prosperity for the people and communities in Yukon; and
- The Parties recognize the importance of establishing a cooperative working relationship on projects in Yukon.
Now Therefore, the Parties agree to the following understandings:
1.1 The purpose of this MOU is to confirm the Parties' mutual interest in:
- Supporting responsible resource and regional infrastructure development in Yukon through cooperation and respectful engagement; and
- Optimizing opportunities to advance economic development for the people and communities in Yukon in relation to projects to the extent possible within the respective mandates of the Parties.
1.2 This MOU is intended to be a statement of mutual understanding and cooperation and is not a legally binding contract. Nothing in this MOU shall limit or fetter, or diminish the statutory authorities, discretionary powers and functions, or the rights and interests of any Party.
2.0 Roles and Responsibilities of the Parties
2.1 For the purposes of this MOU, the Parties recognize that:
- CanNor and its Northern Projects Management Office (NPMO) were created to advance economic development in the three territories, coordinate the Government of Canada's engagement in the environmental review and permitting of projects in Canada's North, as well as to foster economic development in relation to these projects; and
- Department of Economic Development is responsible for developing and maintaining a sustainable and competitive Yukon economy to enrich the quality of life of all Yukoners; pursuing economic initiatives with a shared vision of prosperity, partnerships and innovation; and forging partnerships with First Nations in the economic development of the territory.
2.2 The signatory Parties will serve as the point of contact within their respective governments for activities related to the MOU and will seek the input of other departments within their respective jurisdictions when required.
3.0 Mutual Understandings
3.1 The Parties recognize the importance of resource development and regional infrastructure projects to the economic prosperity of the people and communities in Yukon, and as part of their respective mandates will seek to advance positive economic outcomes in relation to those projects.
3.2 The Parties affirm the importance of working cooperatively to facilitate the sharing of information as appropriate to support territorial resource and infrastructure projects.
3.3 The Parties acknowledge the importance of working cooperatively to facilitate community development in Yukon to ensure that communities gain maximum benefit from the projects.
3.4 The Parties will develop a collaborative framework which will outline the areas of opportunity through which they can advance coordination of respective efforts relating to projects in Yukon. The framework will build upon the goals of current Government of Canada and Government of Yukon strategies related to those issues identified in 1.1 of this MOU.
In Witness Whereof, this MOU has been signed by duly authorized representatives of the Parties effective this 21st day of January, 2015.
Signed on Behalf of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
as represented by:
Original signed by Janet King
Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
Government of Canada
January 21, 2015
Signed on Behalf of the Department of Economic Development
as represented by:
Original signed by Murray Arsenault
Department of Economic Development
Government of Yukon
January 21, 2015